A few pointers on staying warm in your college apartment, from a college renter.
1. Plastic over windows – An easy and inexpensive way to keep heat in your room rather than allowing it to escape through the windows, after all you are paying for it so you might as well try to keep it inside! These kits can be purchased at a local hardware store, or you can take the do-it-yourself approach…all you need is plastic, strong tape, and a hair dryer.
2. Mini space heater – Warm up your room before bedtime with an energy efficient mini space heater. Let it run for about 30 minutes to warm your room.
3. Draft snake – Add a creative touch to your apartment plus a little bonding time with your roomies by making your own draft snakes. Check out Pinterest for some ideas on how to insulate your apartment from drafts. Sand, rice, or dry beans can be used as the stuffing, just be careful not to get the draft snake wet.
4. Switch the ceiling fans to turn the opposite way – Push the warm air towards you.
5. After using the oven, leave the door open – A great way to let the heat out of the oven and warm your apartment on a cold day. Keep an eye on curious pets.
6. Close storm windows – If your apartment has windows that open, be sure all outside storm windows are closed and the inside window is closed tightly shut and locked.
7. Close outside doors – Be sure all outside doors are closed, and if there’s a gap at the bottom that lets in a draft, ask your landlord to place weather stripping on the door.